SAS BI Solutions
SAS is a leader in business intelligence and analytical software
and services. With 43,000 customer sites using SAS software, SAS
have been providing customers around the world "The Power to
Know" since 1976.
SAS solutions aim to "improve performance through insight
from data, resulting in:
- Faster, more accurate business decisions
- More profitable relationships with customers and suppliers
- Compliance with governmental regulations
- Research breakthroughs
- Better products and processes
In November 2009 SAS BI For Performance was rated
the leader in business performance solutions by research firm Forrestor
in their Q4 2009 report. Read
In July 2012, SAS Analytics still holds a commanding lead in the
advanced analytics space, according to IDC's Business Analytics
Software 2012-2016 Forecast and 2011 Vendor Shares report.
With a 35.2 percent segment share in 2011, [up from 34.8 percent
in 2010], this exceeds the entire share for the remaining advanced
analytic vendors named.
IDC also named SAS a 'top five provider' in othercategories, including
business intelligence tools, data warehouse platforms, performance
management applications, end-user query/reporting tools, data warehouse
generation software and supply chain analytics.
SAS Products & Solutions
Regulatory & Compliance
- Anti-Money Laundering
- Regulatory Compliance
- Risk Management
Product & Customer
- Customer Relationship Mgmt.
- Drug Development
- Merchandise Planning
- Service Intelligence
- Supplier Intelligence
SAS® Business Intelligence provides industry tailored solutions
- Energy & Utilities
- Financial Services
- Health Insurance
- Healthcare Providers
- Hospitality & Entertainment
- Life Sciences
- Small to Medium Business
How SAS BI Solutions Outperform Competitor Solutions
BI solution suites are developed in one of two ways:
- BI vendors consolidate their product offerings by re-architecting
products that were not meant to work together. And the cost of
doing so is being born by the customers.
- Solutions are designed and developed from scratch as integrated
suites. SAS is one of the few vendors who have taken this path.
SAS currently stands as a strong independent vendor after the consolidation
Most other vendors still lack all the analytical, modeling and information
management capabilities that SAS offer and that add ongoing ROI.
SAS has also worked closely with Teradata
to incorporate its analytical capabilities within the powerful Teradata
Active Data Warehouse.
See Combining SAS BI Analytics On Teradatas ADW
SAS Strengths and Weaknesses
In the Gartner 2008 BI Magic Quadrant Report, the following strengths
and weaknesses were identified in SAS BI Solutions:
- SAS dominates in advanced analytic solutions in terms of its
range of capabilities or number of advanced analytic deployments.
- SAS has a strong packaged analytic application program - solutions
extend well beyond reporting and key performance indicator (KPI)-centric
deployments, to include more advanced analytic applications applied
to particular business problems such as fraud detection.
- SAS has a strong brand and associated support structure that
spans all major geographies.
- SAS Stored Services provide an effective way to embed advanced
analytical functionality within reports, dashboards and other
- SAS's integration of JMP with the platform provides an in-memory
analytics offering with strong visualization capabilities that
could be positioned for a broader class of business analysts than
the traditional SAS user, though it would need to simplify JMP's
- SAS is recognised as difficult to use - many data manipulation
and advanced analysis tasks require SAS programming language;
a significant barrier to user adoption.
- SAS is less well known for traditional reporting and dashboard-centric
BI deployments, therefore failing to meet basic BI vendor selection
- SAS BI Server lacks key features - Web-authored pixel-perfect
reporting, out-of-the-box support for cascading prompts, and incremental
cube updates. Watch for resolution of these issues in the 9.2
release, expected by mid-2008 [with the exception of pixel-perfect
reporting in the browser].
- SAS reputation for promoting a proprietary architecture - unavailable
programming interfaces (APIs). The recent Teradata relationship
to integrate SAS with Teradata ADW will resolve this major issue.
- SAS's subscription-based pricing model - does not suit buyers
requiring perpetual use rights.
Recent Products by SAS
Next: Teradata BI Solutions
Back To Top
Clear About BI With This Comprehensive Guide To BI Strategy, Program &
BI Solution Index | Market
| Gartner Eval. |
Comparisons | BI
On Demand | BusinessObjects | Cognos
8 BI | IBM | Information
Builders | MS PerformancePoint
| MS Sharepoint | Microstrategy
| Oracle BI | SAP
BI | SAS |
Teradata | BI Virtual Appliances
| BI Vendor Updates | 2008